On Saturday me, my mom, my sister Dana and her two friends and her mom-in-law and sister-in-law came to celebrate my sister's birthday by going to the Cheesecake Factory at Fashion Place Mall, The first time she went was when she came to visit me and Courtney in Boston. After we ate we headed for the General Women's Conference. After we parked the car my sister and her friend, Lynette took off ahead while I stayed and walked with my mom, as she had knee surgery and doesn't walk as fast as she would like. On our way there a gruff looking man stopped and asked "where are all you women going?" and we quickly explained that we were all going to the Conference that was for women. We were stopped at a crosswalk when my mom started walking because there were two cars who slowed to a stop and I wasn't sure if it was our turn to go and before I knew it my mom was starting to walk across when a car appeared out of nowhere and I thought was going to run her over so I put my arm across her so she couldn't go any further while the tires on the car screeched to a halt and she turns to me and tells me she stopped and she wasn't going to go any further (she has her version of the story on her blog but this is my blog and so this is my side of the "true" story).
My heart was up in my throat as I thought her life was going past me in a flash. Any way I'm just grateful to say she is ok and that the car could stop in time. We met up with Dana and told her the story while mom kept to her story and I kept to mine. We finally got to the Conference Center and saw people we knew and we got their you could feel the strength of the women gathered together. I especially loved being their with my mom and my sister. I loved after we sang "let us Rejoice" we sat down and I wispered to my mom, "wow! Now that's a women's choir!"It was a special time to be with my sister. I have so many wonderful memories of her and what an incredible example she is to me. When I was probably 10 years old two things happened 1. I loved to wear her clothes and I would try to be helpful and wash them but I would wash her white shirts with red clothes and I learned pretty quickly that those two items don't work so well together in the wash. When I showed Dana what happened she would just calmly say, "Annemarie, please if you wear one of my shirts just let me wash it!" I thought she would kill me but she was incredibly patient with her younger sister who looked up to her in every way. #2. I remember when some of my friends and I would either be friends or they would not want to be my friend for that paticular moment and this one day was my friends b-day and I was invited but when I arrived all the girls came to the door and told me I wasn't invited and so I went home just crushed and hurt, during this time my sister was out w/ some friends and she felt strongly impressed to come home and when she learned what happened she told me to come with her and her friends and we went to Olive Garden, that moment my big sister became my hero and saved me from a deep depression I probably would have had if she didn't come to my rescue.
I will forever be indebted to her generosity, love and kindness. Dana forgives others so easily and gives people the benefit of the doubt. She loves a good party and she loves to shop and get the best deal in town and she normally finds it. Happy Birthday Dana! You truly inspire me.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Happy Birthday to my Sister
Posted by annie at 3:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
You always have the nicest things to say! What a nice family. Wasn't the conference great? We had an activity for the sisters at our ward before the broadcast and we had 54 sisters come!!!! I was soo happy! Everybody was so amazed to see so many there! The whole night was just great! I'm glad your night turned out to be safe!
It is so funny how our perceptions of the same event can be so very different. Just one more thing: the fact that she could fling out her arm in front of me means that I was actually pretty much side by side with her and wasn't in front the car. THAT'S my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Actually, she couldn't be inside my head and realize that I knew not to take another step forward. To her it seemed as though I was on my way to my doom. It's nice to be so important to someone. Thanks for loving and caring about me.
Love,
Mom
Girls are all about drama. Thanks Annemarie for the kind tribute on my birthday. It was a fun night and I am glad that we were all together for it. I can't wait to do it again soon. Love you Dana
I finally found you! I love your blog! You're so sweet to everyone!
It is so good that you are blogging again! I am excited to get caught up with you guys! Little Andrew is a doll. I have a nephew with severe autism and reading your life is like remembering what is was/is like for my sister in law. Education is everything and will get you through!
Wow I loved the story can't wait til I can go? So how many years is that?
Post a Comment