Oh what a handsome boy waiting for the school bus! every time I mentioned to Andrew that school was going to be starting he said "want back pack" so he was excited to start. I have trepedation because it's hard waving goodbye to your 3 year old that get's on a big bus. Even after the first week I still get a lump in my throat when he leaves. After his first day when he got off of the bus he said "want to watch the bus" so of course we had to say goodbye to the bus as they left. I found out the bus is the best thing about school.
Andrew has done incredibly well from the time he started preschool last year to now. Back then he struggled to tell me what he wanted, he would stutter "I waaaaaaaa nt" and he would continue to say that until I repeated what he said "I want" and then he would say "I want....." and he would finish by telling me what it was he wanted. Back then he would echo everything we would say which at the time we were overjoyed with that because at 18 mo old he didn't say anything unless it was a random sound or he would say things once and wasn't able to repeat it. I remember he would stand in front of the fridge and scream and whine, then I would have to ask him while holding different things up until he would grab what he wanted. So echoing was huge for us to hear him say words.
He has recently started to say his own words and not echoing from what he hears as much. When were going places he'll say "hurry up mommy" because he's so excited to go. If Abbey's crying he'll go up to her and give her a kiss and say "it's ok Abbey". Just today after he came home from school he asked for a banana and while I was getting a banana he said "One pear" and there was only one pear in the dish among the bananas. Very exciting!!!
Andrew is doing so well at distinguishing emotions and he'll say to me "happy mommy" or "Mommy's Angry" and he says it in such a way that if I am angry it makes me smile and I tell him "mommy's happy now" and he'll then ask " I want an angry face" and then he adds "Angry" in the cuttest voice. I think he thinks having the angry face is a fun game to him because it makes mommy happy in the end. He'll look in the mirror and make different faces which when he was younger he didn't even like to look at himself. His teacher Miss Kristen told me his favorite book is about feelings and how he watches her face intently when she reads him the story, which is very good because the more eye contact the better!
The journey we have had with Andrew has not been easy, mainly worrying about how Andrew will be received with peers and sometimes how exhausting it is to keep up with him, sometimes his melt downs have been pretty unconsolable but one awesome thing I've been doing recently is I have him breath in deeply and then blow his breath out slowly and he does the hand movements with me and it calms him down within a minute.... that's WOW!! That's one of the huge rewards we get much like how he starts doing something on his own and he gains more independance for himself. One of the many things I have learned from Andrew is how to not take little things for granted. I remember hearing some moms say how much their child jibber jabbers and they wish they didn't talk so much, I'm so opposite I welcome any good word and I see this with Abbey as she says new words and talks up a storm in church I let her go for it. I love communication!!!! It's been so hard for Andrew when he gets hurt he has a hard time telling me what happened. There was an experience that made my heart literally sink and I wanted to put a bubble around Andrew but I knew I couldn't. Andrew was playing w/ a couple of his cousins and some of their friends one of them said "hey if you kick him he doesn't get hurt" and one started to kick him in the shins and at this point I ran into the room and stopped it immediately, I attempted to tell the kids that Andrew does get hurt even though he might not cry or run and tell me about it. I think that was one of the pivotal moments that hit home for me, some of the things we are going to have to face and deal with throughout his whole life and the fact I can't put some protective bubble around him, so I pray that his guardian angels will always be there to help protect him, which I know Grandma Allen is right there.
I was listening to Enya the other day and the song "If I could be where you are" just totally struck a cord to how I feel about Andrew and how at times when I'm talking with him he doesn't seem to know what is going on around him and that's when my heart breaks because I so desperately want him to understand what is happening around him and to him.
These are the words to the song: If I could be where you are, Enya
Where are you this moment? Only in my dreams. You're missing, but you're always a heartbeat from me. I'm lost now without you, I don't know where you are I keep watching. I keep hoping, but time keeps us apart.
Is there a way I can find you, is there a sign I should know, is there a road I could follow to bring you back home?
Winter lies before me now you're so far away. In the darkness of my dreaming the light of you will stay.
If I could be close beside you, If I could be where you are, If I could reach out and touch you and bring you back home. Is there a way I can find you, is there a sign I should know, is there a road I can follow to bring you back home to me.
We love our sweet little boy, he truly is such a strength to us. He brings such sweetness to our family.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Andrew's first week of school
Posted by annie at 1:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
I am writing this with tears in my eyes after listening to the Enya song. It so perfectly describes how we feel about these dear little children like Andrew. They are lost in their own little world. How grateful I am that Andrew is slowly learning to reveal some of where he is.
You have been chosen to be his parents for a reason. You are learning so much, as we all are, and Andrew is the teacher in this respect. Andrew has a very sweet spirit. I'm grateful that you have Abby, too. She will be very special to Andrew, as she is to all of us. The Lord is good.
I hadn't heard the Enya song before. It really touched my heart.
Love you,
Mom
You are doing a great job with him Annemarie! He has come so far. Those stories about his progress are great! I'm glad he loves the bus. He looks so small sitting on it!
We are so lucky to have Andrew in our family. He is truly one of Heavenly Father's special ones. What a wonderful mom you are to him. Whenever I am around your patience amazes me. We can all learn from you.
He is such a cutie!! I love the picture of him sitting on the bus!! He looks so excited!! I'm so glad to hear he is doing better. That is wonderful! I'm sure he will progress more and more with all the love and amazing job you are doing.
Hey Annemarie, it's Nataie Sirmans from the Manchester ward. I felt impressed to comment on your blog because I think you're doing such an amazing job with your little Andrew. I'm sure he loves school and that his teachers adore him. I know how bittersweet it is to have your child diagnosed on the spectrum.
The blessings of having such a wonderful child seems to always overpower the challenges, even when it doesn't feel that way.
take care.
Post a Comment