CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Birthday letter for Andrew

Andrew's Blessing 2 mo old.


Andrew 3 mo old.
To my dearest little boy on your 4th Birthday:

I remember when I first learned you were coming to us. Your daddy and I have been waiting for about 6 months and then when I took a test and it was positive, I felt numb and scared and I didn't know if I could be a good mommy to you. I would ask myself, am I really ready to be a mommy? but after feeling insecure and scared I felt delighted and so much joy and happiness that you would be coming to us. Do you know how much I loved you already even without seeing your sweet little face.Andrew at 6 mo.

The Sunday we found out was the same Sunday that your grandparents were having their farewell, you see they were leaving on a mission to Brazil and I went to visit them a few weeks before per grandma she wanted quality time with me before the chaos came with getting ready for their talks and visiting with all of our relatives.
Andrew 6 mo.
I called and called all day to tell grandma and grandpa about our news but no one would answer I wished I was there to be with everyone. Later grandma finally called to tell me that your 2 yr old cousin Boston had drowned and was flown to Primary Children's. We prayed so hard to have him stay with us but Heavenly Father needed him more. We will miss him everyday.
Boston 2 yrs

I know you both were close friends in Heaven for years later I would find this out when you were standing on a mound of flowers in their front yard and at this time you spoke only by repeating what you would hear and all of a sudden you looked straight ahead and said "Boston! Boston! " and then you went back to trying to ride your bike. I told your cousin Chloe and she said that the mound you stood on was a favorite spot that Boston always loved to play on.Andrew 7mo.

I'm grateful that we found out about your unique challenges when you were 18 months and not sooner because I was able to just enjoy you instead of feeling alone and scared not knowing what autism is or sometimes NOT wanting to know what that will mean for you and us in our future. It was hard enough having family away when I thought things were ok. Thank heavens for our good friends that went on walks with us and invited us for play dates, what a blessing all of them were for both of us. I'm glad I could just simply enjoy all that you could offer me and I will always hold on to those wonderful memories.

Your ultimate happiness for music and your love for car rides made traveling a dream! I love when you all of a sudden look into my eyes and with your tiny hands put them on my face and give me the biggest smile. Those moments are my riches that Heavenly Father gives me every so often to remind me of what a great person lies within you and I'm so grateful you chose our family, chose ME and DADDY!

What an absolute gift you are to us and to Abbey, she laughs the loudest when you both are playing together. What a wonderful example you are to all of us. You are so forgiving when sometimes I don't feel like I should be forgiven. When I forget about your challenges and I'm quick to becoming angry and then you show me your sweet face with tear filled eyes and your arms hugging me, this makes my impatience and anger melt away.Andrew at 7 mo.

You have taught us patience, Christlike Love, laughing at yourself, being yourself, finding happiness in everything around us, love for music and car rides, being persistent, knowing that if you want something bad enough you will find a way to make it happen, and above all love for others and the peace and joy that comes with that. Yes, we will continually learn and grow from each other as you get older. I'm excited to see all the new things you are doing and will surprise me with.

I'm so happy that I get to snuggle with you every night and read to you "Guess How Much I Love You". Because I do "love you right up to the moon and back."

Always remember my sweet Andrew, like it says in the book "I love you Forever":

"I'll Love you forever
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my Baby you'll be."
Andrew at 4 yrs. (almost)

Happy 4th Birthday my sweet sweet little boy.

I love you so much,

Mommy

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I remeber when I was babysitting him and reading that book. after he would say rock back and forth back and forth. I love you Andrew and Happy Birthday. I also remember you saying after a prayer from the KBYU comercial Happy Birthday from KBYU. You really make me laugh and your so sweet. I love it when you sing. It makes me look back on what the words really mean. Love Cousin Chloe.

Julie Miller said...

Happy Birthday Andrew! I remember you took us to the airport right before he was born and had him while we were gone! Time flies!

Thanks for the phone call. Sorry I never got back around to getting back with you. You know how that goes. Maybe one day we will be out there when it is a little more relaxed!

Gloria said...

My heart is so full of love for Andrew. He really has taught us a lot and I think the learning will be an ongoing affair. I remember the fear and trepidation I felt in the early days of his being diagnosed. Now he is his own unique little personality and a real joy.

Happy Birthday Andrew. It is so exciting to see all the new things that you are learning. You have an amazing memory that is such a source of joy and surprise and happiness.

Grandma and Grandpa love you with all our hearts.

Bradshaw Adventures said...

Annemarie you post is so beautiful what wonderful memories especially during some difficult times.
Happy Birthday Andrew!! We are so grateful that all of you are a part of our lives!
Hope you guys are feeling better and enjoying the holidays!

Chip and Lisa said...

That is so sweet and something that he will always be able to read back and see all the wonderful things his mom remembered about him. You are so sweet!