The month of April is Autism awareness month. Autism.... what does it really mean. I remember hearing about it when I served my mission and I remember feeling overwhelmed for the lady we were teaching and thinking how can she handle this? and now the word autism is spread into every neighborhood and into my home. The definition from the Autism Society of America: Autism is a complex developmental disability that typically appears during the first three years of life and affects a person’s ability to communicate and interact with others.
I know with Andrew he is cleverly smart and if he wants to learn something he will and he'll do it very well. At the same time he struggles to be able to express his feelings, focusing on what he needs to do as well as some fine motor skills such as cutting with scissors and putting shoes on.
Just recently I moved him into the afternoon class as their were higher functioning children that would help Andrew to stretch and grow and he is doing amazingly well. His teacher commented on how he seemed to be a totally different child than when he was in the morning class.
He calls this his "WILD" hair-do
Recently, he has started to answer my questions appropriately and with great enthusiasm, for example: I asked him "did you have fun and school?" and he replied with great joy in his voice, "I did have fun at school". Oh, it melts my heart every time! Now he is extrapolating from the books he reads and puts my name or his name into it and changes it a little.
We have gone in to check on him before we go to bed and he'll have the lights on and books all surrounding him. Oh how sweet! We found him here on the floor with one his favorite books.
Today was a fun day as daddy got a day off and we were getting ready to put fresh linens on the bed. We turned up ABBA and started singing and yes I allowed them to JUMP on the bed I know it's unheard of that I would allow this but both Andrew and Abbey were so cute and having such a good time I just couldn't see why I should stop them. Then Courtney walked into the room and Andrew blurted out while jumping and giggling at the same time, "Daddy, I'm having so much fun!" WOW, what a complex sentence for him to say. We were in Awe!
I have to say that I have learned more from Andrew that I ever thought I could learn in such a short amount of time. I have learned to appreciate the gifts that Andrew sends my way each day. To not take for granted learning a word or a gesture or even looking into someones eyes.
As I'm seeing Abbey grow and how she is already putting words together and she has her own ideas about things and is expressing them, Andrew has made me appreciate every new thing they both do.
Andrew and Abbey are such buddies and they love to follow each other around with Abbey holding onto Andrews waist, he gets the biggest thrill doing this. He'll take her by the hand and walk her through the hall on a little hunt. Andrew has made my heart overflowing with happiness.
He is a precious child of God who was sent here to help me be a better person. I'm not here to help him but HE's here to help ME. I think all of our children are like that.
Thank you my little buddy for being one of my most precious gifts.
I love you...
Mommy
Andrew helping me with a project.
Friday, April 3, 2009
A for Andrew... A for Autism
Posted by annie at 9:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
This post brought tears to my eyes. What a journey life is, so stretching, so profound in its details, and so worthwhile.
Keep up the good job.
Love you!
Thanks mom. I know that he will triumph because of you and everyone in our family. What a wonderful support system we have.
That was beautiful! We are so blessed to have such wonderful spirits in our home! I'm so proud of Andrew and the progress he continues to make. You're a great mother! The perfect mother and advocate for your sweet Andrew.
Post a Comment