CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

sahara cares

Andrew with Jengo Phet, Star Wars.

Recently we went to a Autumn carnival for Autism, hosted by saharacares.net
This was our first year going and we had such a good time. It felt good to see others there who were dealing with autism and it's cruel invasion on our families with great strength and determination.

It felt wonderful to not feel like we are being watched or stared at every time Andrew did something that was atypical for his age like echoing what people said, looking at a glare for longer than he should or tip toeing while he walked. I knew no one was judging me and it was such a relief. We were met by people who were full of happy faces. The pride in each parents eye when our child that is afflicted with autism can overcome obstacles and triumph what some thought was impossible.

I remember reading about potty training with children who have autism.... AFTER... Andrew was potty trained (am I forever thankful, too) because I read that children who have autism will be urine trained but not poop trained for a whole other year. What a miracle that Andrew was literally potty trained in a day with little accidents in that first week.

I'm so proud of Andrew. When we were putting him to bed he looked right at me (which is rare) and said "Mommy, your name is Annemarie" and then he went around the room and said that about everyone's name. Then he said "I live in Clinton". Can you believe he knows his address and phone number. What a smart kid. He has to work 5 x what a typical child has to do just to understand the basics in life. But HE IS doing that, he is triumphing and overcoming his obstacles no matter how long it takes!

I'm learning so much from Andrew. He is my Hero!!!

Andrew with his face painted like Nemo.
Abbey with her face painted like a butterfly.
Andrew with Nemo and a staff member.

0 comments: