At the beginning of our marriage we decided not to have a tv so that Courtney could study and I loved that because I got time to read and we found that we talked more (when he wasn't studying that is).
December hit and Courtney was more excited than a "tornado in a trailer park" (as Mater would say from the movie cars) when "Lord of the Rings" came out. So, since we had no tv for at least our first four years of marriage we would watch "The Lord of the Rings". So if you figure one type of movie times by four years of life that's A LOT of "Lord of the Rings" to watch. We practically have it memorized.
Well then he got more excited when the extended versions came out and it was a necessity of life to have them in our "collection" of dvd's. Now when every December rolls around in commemoration of when the movie was released we watch it in it's entirety.
Last night we finally finished watching "The Lord of the Rings" extended version. It's taken us almost two months but with children around, the only time I felt comfortable watching it was when they were sound in their beds. Although, there was a day when Andrew started saying "Come on boy's" one of the main Uraki (bad guys) seems to always say this phrase, so anyway maybe he could hear what was going on???? We just laughed.
I always put up a fuss whenever he wanted to watch the movies; such as rolling the eyes... the big sigh... then I just laugh. I just do it to tease him and he knows it. Hey, he teases me about other things so don't feel sorry for the man.
It was fun to sit down with my hubby and relive our moments when we had no tv to worry about. (I won't admit this if anyone tells him this) but I really enjoyed watching it with him and I was kind of sad it was over.
I really did miss when we would go to the Fenway theater in Boston right by where we lived when it was the opening of "The Lord of the Rings". I remember when Heidi screamed out "Yoww" when she saw Aragorn bust open the double doors, that part always makes me laugh.
Until next year when we get to watch the saga of the rings all over again!!!!!




4 comments:
I remember how we'd come over and, if you were watching anything, it was "Lord of the Rings." Then there was Dan with his hobby of getting everything. :) Those were good times. If you do have to watch a movie over and over, that's a good one to see!
You know that life is made up of all the simple but sweet moments like that one. I love that you embraced the moment. Sounds like fun!!
Although we are not die hard LOTR "Buffs" the movies always came out on the weekend of our anniversary. Since you were in the trenches with us at the time, you also know that the LOTR also came out during the THROWS of finals. So, the time and money we could afford, for several years, to spend on our wedding anniversary would be spent at dinner and a movie....you guessed it Lord of The Rings. So, we too have sweet memories from our Boston days, of celebrating our wonderful marriage watching "the rings."
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Isn't it funny how traditions are born. P.S. Ben and his friends once did a watch all 3 Lord of the Rings Movies in one day party. He said it was awesome, but he'd never do it again. It's probably good that you watch it in bits and pieces.
Post a Comment