CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Being Mommy

If cough syrup, lozenges, and pain relievers are what have been in your diet lately then I can relate. This Monday Andrew was so wild and melted down so many times that I couldn't count them and my fuse was going out fast. I was doing bills and told him that he could play his games after I was done well I looked down after a little bit and he was asleep on the floor. This might be normal for some children but not my little Yoda as he is known to be up at 7am and doesn't want to go down until 9pm. But did I get a clue - oh no, not one bit.

When he was going to bed he wanted me to tickle his hair and since all the meltdowns and he kept doing things to stay awake and not go to bed. Like wanting water, then wanting to go potty then needing to see Tinker Bell then he wanted something else and the list kept going and going and I had had enough! so I didn't want to tickle his hair (I feel like a bad mom but I was so burnt out) So Courtney went and spent time with him (what a good man!)

So Tuesday comes and we get him ready for school he wants me to just tickle his hair. All the while I'm thinking I have so much I have to get done, I can't just sit here and "tickle" your hair. So he goes off to school and then the phone call comes. Miss K asks me if Andrew is sick and I say no he just seemed out of sorts is all and she continues to tell me that right when he got to school he went to a corner w/ beanbags and layed down and is now sleeping.

Since I'm homebound (no car that is) I called my wonderful mom and she came to watch Abbey while I went to pick Andrew up at school and by the time I got there he was burning w/ a fever. So we went to the InstaCare and was informed that he had the flu. We got medicine that costs $100 bucks -- yikes!! but you gotta do what's best for the kiddos.

Next day -- boom, both Abbey and I are hit with high fevers. It's Saturday and now we have finally gotten over our fevers and the kids still have runny noses (Can I say I'm sick of runny noses!) but I got laryngitis along with the runny nose so the kids can basically do anything and they won't be hearing me yell and telling them No, no. Abbey made me laugh today when she kept following Andrew around while pointing her finger at him and saying "no, no". Thanks Abbey for the good belly laugh, I needed some humor in this week of being overwhelmed of sickness.

Question: When kids are sick who do they want? Yes, mommy. Who helps get them better, yes, mommy. But when mommy gets sick who helps mommy - That's right no one, if your a mom you know this to be true, you have to keep plugging along to help everyone else and hope that you can make it through - even if it's just for another hour.

Needless to say, I'm grateful our health is returning. It's when your health is ill that you realize how grateful you are for those "ordinary" days of good health. Also I'm very grateful to a wonderful husband who gave us blessings and who miraculously has stayed quite healthy.

I can't wait to breath and talk without pain!!!! :) I want my Mommy!!!!

5 comments:

The Campbell Family said...

So sad to hear you have all been under the weather. It is sad but true...No paid vacations or sick leave for stay at home moms. When you are feeling better we should all get together again...the warm weather is around the corner!

Liz Rose said...

Oh how I wish I could come over and make you yummy broccoli cheese soup, and fix you a special drink!! :) I will always remember how you did that for me. I was so touched that you came over to take care of me. Wish I could return the favor now!! Feel better soon!

annie said...

Heather - we would love to get together with you guys. I was thinking about going to the farm we went to last fall but going this spring, then maybe we would get a hay ride this time.

Liz - Oh how I wish I could be a recipient of your yummy food. I remember when I would watch Sarah and you made us dinner, it was always Fabulous!!!

Chip and Lisa said...

I think every mom has experienced not diagnosing our children at the first signs of illness but once it has home it is not a fun party. I am so sorry you are not feeling well and I hope that you feel better soon. You are such a sweet mom.

Gloria said...

I still want my Mom when I get sick. She is an angel now, though, so she is probably very busy doing her angel work. Who knows, maybe that work includes being with her children when they are sick.

Children don't realize how good they have it when they have their Moms close by to give comfort and solace when they are ill.